Emergent Gravity

Planck_CMB-1200x600

I was watching on internet a public lecture by Erik Verlinde on Entropic Gravity which he recently gave at Perimeter Institute in Canada. Apparently physicists are struggling with some great cosmological mysteries. He has a new theory on gravity often taught as a fundamental force in physics textbooks. According to him, gravity is an emergent phenomenon which arises from entangled quantum bits. It is emergent because it is not a fundamental force, but arises out of more basic and microscopic fabric of the universe. Being a computer scientist, I am intrigued by the central role of entropy, that is, information content, in this new perspective. Only with time, further work and observations, we will know whether the new ideas will prevail. All part of scientific progress.

“The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and science. ” Famous quotation by Albert Einstein. We are restless beings, propelled onward by desire to understand, create, express and explore.

M’illumino, d’immenso; by Giuseppe Ungaretti. I flood myself with the light of the immense. Beautiful exclamation by the poet.

What we understand about the universe is literally based on the light of the immense! But visible light makes up only 0.005% of the universe. Next 5% is matter, and the remaining 95% is complete mystery.

Even though it may be all very mysterious, it is great tribute to human mind to reach this stage in which we can formulate these mysteries and propose new theories. The light of the immense will continue to make us march onward!

gravity

Advertisements